Thursday, November 20, 2008

superfoods





I just picked up a book at the library entitled "the Superfood Rx." Superfood had become quite the buzz word as of late and I have been interested in seeing if there is any merit to it. I have read some stuff on both sides but today this is where I am at. This is a list of foods that are undoubtedly healthy. Far more healthy then the average American (my) diet. I like almost everything on this list and it is all available at any grocery store. Are they super - meaning, are they better than other whole foods available? Maybe. Maybe not. But making these items staples in my home seem like a win-win situation. At the most, we may reap a wealth of benefits. At the least, our tummies will be full of fresh, yummy food.

Superfoods

Beans
Blueberries
Broccoli
Oats
Oranges
Pumpkin
Salmon
Soy
Spinach
Tea (green or black)
Tomatoes
Turkey
Walnuts
Yogurt

Secondary 'Superfoods'


Honey
Dark Chocolate
Acai
Allium – onions, garlic, chives, leeks, shallots
Hulled Barley
Lentils
Buckwheat
Green Foods – barley grass, wheat grass, blue-green algae
Hot peppers
Nuts & Seeds
Sprouts
Kefir

No comments: